Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Things I Love About Lander


James and I have loved every place we've lived. And I think that if I went back to any place I have lived throughout my life, I would still feel at home -- except for maybe Provo, because it has grown and changed soooo much since our BYU days. Each time I have driven in to Moab, it has felt like I was going home. I would love to retire there, but I'm glad we're not there now because it wouldn't be a very good place to raise kids (but oh, what a wonderful place it is to visit!). Laramie had a lot of great people and some other real perks like the university, Walmart, etc., but the weather wasn't too great. Still, we were happy there. I think you can be happy no matter where you live, if you decide to be. I've been thinking a lot about Lander lately, especially as James has considered other job options (don't panic! I just said "considering") and we've thought about the possibility of moving from our beloved Lander (again, don't panic! I just said "possibility"), and all of the things I truly love about Lander and what I would really miss. Here is a list that I'm sure I'll want to add to later.

Things I Love About Lander
  • it is absolutely beautiful here -- especially in the spring!
  • I love how religiously diverse Lander is. This is the only place I have lived where people are so active in their various churches. All of our neighbors belong to different churches and each of them actually GOES to church every Sunday. That tells you something about the moral values that people here have. Lander has truly good people.
  • The people of Lander are very diverse and at the same time, very accepting. James said it wasn't always this way, but I have never felt like anyone "looked down on" me for being a Mormon. We have the NOLS people mixed in with the home-schoolers mixed in with the Native Americans mixed in with the ultra-conservatives mixed in with the very liberal-minded people, etc. etc. etc. And, unlike Moab, Lander people are very accepting of new-comers. In Moab if you haven't lived there for several generations then you don't really belong (you're just visiting).
  • Lander people are very friendly. Everywhere you go people tell each other hello. I used to be very annoyed by Lander drivers, thinking they were the rudest drivers ever because they wouldn't ever let me over when I was signalling and trying to change lanes. Then I figured out that my blinkers on my van don't work (hmmm... I wonder if it was that instead?!?).
  • There is so much to see and do in Lander. Whether you're talking about the Sinks, Rise, and Falls and other natural landmarks, or the variety of activities offered by Parks & Rec, the Art Center, Children's Museum, library, dance studios, music in the park, etc. I love that Missoula Children's Theater comes here every year. I love that the Parks & Rec offers pretty much every type of sport you can think of (T wanted to take golf this summer. I told him maybe next summer). The only thing we have found lacking is science classes for Cameron, but I'm told that once you hit junior high you can join the science club. We have fun parks too, especially City Park.
  • I love the pace and style of a small town. I love that I can go anywhere without make-up on (I never wear make-up) and am not embarrassed. It is a place I feel like I can always just be me. I accept other people for who they are and they accept me for who I am. I love that so many people know each other (James knows everybody). I love that we can show up at the police station with our cub scouts and they are so excited to give them a tour. Our neighbor went to the newspaper office and asked for the photograph of Rebecca from the front page and they gave it to her, free of charge, just because it's a nice thing to do. I like the look of Main Street, although there are some buildings that I wish they would clean up or update, but overall I like the small-town look of it.
  • While there are some definite downsides to being "in the middle of nowhere," like no Olive Garden, Sam's Club, Costco, temple, the nearest Walmart is 30 minutes away, etc., I also kind of like being secluded like we are. I'm sure we would never be targeted by a terrorist. I feel very safe here - we go places all the time and leave the door wide open (I'm not saying that's a good idea... I'm just saying that I usually come home and find that the last person out the door didn't shut it. But the Boogie Man hasn't invaded us yet). I know that Lander isn't free of crime (James says that probably 99 percent of the crime he prosecutes has to do with alcohol) I am never afraid to go running by myself and would even dare to run after dark if I weren't afraid of mountain lions or bears. :)
  • We have the best schools. I love South. I loved West when we went there too. I'm sure I would love North if my kids went there. People here are very loyal to their schools and there are specific things that they really like about them.
  • I love my neighbors. We live among the very best people. They are always so friendly and so willing to help us out. Most of our neighbors are retired so they are home during the day. James said the other night when I was at Kristi's writing the primary program, he and the kids went out in the front yard to play "Red Light Green Light." Our neighbor across the street stood at her front window and watched the kids with a big smile on her face. Thank goodness they love our kids instead of being annoyed by them! Our next-door neighbor once complained to his son (who used to work with James in the county attorney's office) that our back yard looked like a Fisher Price truck exploded in it, so I know that he hasn't been the most amused by our "mess" (at least it's only in the back yard and not the front!), but overall even they have been very nice to us. One of my neighbors called me one day to see if everything was all right because she noticed our lights were on past 9:30 p.m. :) I guess you could say people are always looking out for us. I love that Micah's guitar teacher lives right across the street - that is so convenient! Our neighbors are always doing nice things for us and when we have talked about living elsewhere, or even moving within Lander, we always mention that we would never find such great neighbors again. And that is soooo important!
  • I love, love, love, LOVE our house! I love all the things we have done to it to make it just right for us. James' favorite improvement was adding the hot tub. My favorite improvement is a tie between our master bathroom and the hidden playroom. I told James that wherever we live from now on, he always has to build a playroom in our house. I love our location -- one minute from the school, three minutes from church, five minutes from Safeway, ten minutes from the court house. Really we could walk to any location within the city limits within a reasonable amount of time.
  • I have been very happy with our medical care here. I think it's so important to have a personal relationship with your doctor, dentist, eye dr., etc. I was sad a month or so ago when we got a letter from Dr. Beveridge (my OBGYN) that he was moving from Lander so he'd have more time for his family. I have really liked him. I really like our family doctor, and of course our dentist, and our eye doctor is a good guy too. And of course our orthodontist is in our bishopric (Cameron's going to see him in a few minutes). It is great to be able to go see Dr. Phipps and have him already know each of the family members and be able to bring up concerns about various kids and he'll actually know what I'm talking about.
  • I love the variety of geology here. We can drive through Squaw Creek and see Moab-looking scenery, or go up Sinks Canyon and be in a forest. We can drive an hour or so and be in Hell's Half Acre with yellow cliffs and hills or go to the sandy beach at Morton Lake.
Time to go to the orthodontist! This is only a partial happiness-list of what I love about Lander. I'm sure I'll think of many more things. It is a good place to be! Wanna move here? Our neighbors 2 doors down have their house for sale!!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

You are so lucky to love where you live. I would love to move to a small town but I fear what you found in Moab. My neighbors are great people and our ward is great too. I would just like some space. Ya know?

Melissa said...

It sounds like Lander is a great place to raise a family. A lot of what you love is why we moved from the Bay area to Lehi! It is great living somewhere you love and feeling like it really is home.