Friday, June 6, 2008

A Busy Week Full of Awards





The last week of school is always very busy. Here's some of what we've been up to:
Hershey's Track Meet

Micah decided he wanted to run in Lander's Hershey Track Meet. He was hoping to be able to go onto the state meet in Jackson and then the national meet in Hershey, Pennsylvania. You have to score either first or second place in your event to go onto state. He scored 3rd in the 100 meter dash. I'm not sure where he scored in the softball throw. He gathered a relay team of LDS kids because he didn't want to disappoint any nonmember kids if the Hershey meet ended up being on a Sunday and he had to drop off the team. That was his idea and I'm proud of him for thinking of that. Their relay team was 4th out of 4 teams in their age bracket, so Micah was pretty disappointed. He sure ran his little heart out, though, and I was so proud of him. He got his 3rd place ribbon for the 100 meter dash and has hope that next year he'll win either 2nd or 1st so he can go on to state. Here's a video of their relay team practicing the day before the meet:








Visiting Teaching Movie

After Micah ran his final race, I raced over to the church because Enrichment had started 45 minutes earlier! Luckily I was there before they showed the Visiting Teaching movie that Becky and I worked on for a couple weeks before that. It turned out really fun and the sisters loved it. I wasn't very happy with my computer for all the trouble it put me through making it, but I guess it was worth it!

Lizzie's New Milestone

Guess who discovered the magical bowl of water in the bathroom that is just the right height to put things in?!?

Last Day of School

The last day of school was a crazy busy day. First we (Rebecca, Elizabeth, and I) went to the younger kids' awards ceremony. Jamey was given the Citizenship Award again (and so was Jalynne Brough, again). He was pretty excited about that and put the pin on his shirt.

Then we went to Jamey's "Recognition Breakfast" in the art room, where he was given an art award and they showed the class movie and served their parents breakfast.

I left early from that to rush to the older kids' awards ceremony. By now Rebecca was getting quite antsy and Dave Thatch had to take her and Jamison out to roam the halls of the school so as not to disturb the other parents in attendance. Micah received the Citizenship Award again and he was also the top AR reader in his grade again (I think this is the 3rd year in a row?) and Cameron received the President's Education Award for Outstanding Academic Excellence, which included a letter from President Bush that he's pretty excited about. They were both also recognized for their participation in band, the science fair, and Cameron for the history fair.

Then we hurried to Teancum's Kindergarten luncheon. He received his diploma of graduation from the kindergarten.

Another Milestone for Lizzie

Lizzie learned how to open the drawers of my office desks and she can go up stairs, but not down them yet. Luckily she doesn't try to -- she just sits there and waits for someone to carry her off the step. Also, once this week we saw her standing up by herself. She had let go of whatever she was holding on to, but we don't think she realized she was standing on her own. She looks sooooooo proud of herself when she walks around holding onto our fingers!

Scouts

Last night Cameron & Micah left for a scout campout. This morning Ethan, Ian, and Jamey went to Cub Day Camp. James, Teancum, Rebecca, Lizzie, and I attended the Baseball Pancake Breakfast this morning and commented on how Teancum was our ONLY boy! All he had was sisters. Of course, he argued with us about having brothers, but it was strange to only have one boy for a little while.

Birthday Week

We had quite the week of birthdays beginning with my brother Cory, then Rebecca, Kija, Ammon, and today is my brother Casey's. Needless to say, we'll be pretty tired of birthday cake by the time the week is out! We had celebrations for Kija's and Ammon's birthdays and each of the kids got to blow the candles out on their cakes. Last night was Rebecca's Princess Birthday party. Six princesses sat around our kitchen table being waited upon by Rebecca's big brothers. James said that having twelve boys would be much easier than having six girls. Micah said that he's glad Jamey's birthday party is next because he won't make his brothers do any manual labor (actually, Micah and all the rest of the boys were really good sports about being waiters and I think even enjoyed themselves quite a bit!).

No comments: