Friday, June 13, 2008

Creative Writing

As part of their charts every morning, the boys have to do a page of homework of my choice. Yesterday I assigned Cameron & Micah to write a one-page essay. Micah got to write about whatever he wanted, but since Cameron was fighting with the twins I assigned him to write about what he loved about the twins. I will only share the first paragraph of his because it gets pretty serious & personal after that and I'm sure he'd be embarrassed if I shared the whole thing. I am leaving their spelling in tact. Spelling is not the Whiting boys' strong suit, I'm afraid...

Cameron's Essay:

"I love Eathan and Ian because if we ever were tied up they could help us get out. If we neaded keys to a door, he could pick-pocket them. and if we ever lose somthing, he can find it. It's nice to have two adopted brothers in our family to help us along."

I'm proud of Cameron for writing the essay because he was pretty mad at the twins, and he can be very stubborn, so I wondered if he might choose to just stay grounded in his bedroom instead of having to write the essay. But he wrote it and, although it started out sarcastic and silly, the rest of it was very nice and actually spiritual. I'm going to put it in his scrapbook.

Micah's Essay:

"I was asked to write an essay on somthing and I what to write about pie.
I'm talking about the pie that comes in blackberry, cherry, blueberry, strawberry, pumkin, and all the others. Now I really like pie it tastes so good when The crust is just right and It's filled with strawberrys. Now you might like apple, plum, or peach but I say all pie is good.
Now pie was first made somewere on earth so it's an original. There are severel ways to make it first you can use a family resipe or go by instinct or follow thee instructions. Well what ever you do remember what pie has done for you."

Maybe we need to work on not only spelling, but also grammar and punctuation???

2 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great idea! I like the one page essay on their charts idea. Of course, I also like the charts idea - maybe that would help me get things together better! These essays are so cute. I hope you do keep them in their scrapbooks.

Julie said...

My first thought was the same as Melissa above- What a great idea! It is amazing to read what they are processing in their little brains. Cool.