Sunday, February 1, 2009

Allergic to Chocolate? Couldn't be!

On Friday afternoon we noticed that Lizzie was coming down with a case of hives. I felt so bad for her because I know how MISERABLE having hives is! I wasn't sure what could have caused it. She's had chocolate before, but did she inherit my allergy to chocolate? She did have chocolate on Friday. She had sesame nuts in her dinner on Thursday night so we wondered if it might be that. The hives continued to get worse yesterday and was really bad last night. But finally this morning it was starting to go away and now it's pretty much gone. Poor little Lizzie. I gave her little bits of benadryl and an oatmeal bath and put lots of calomine lotion on her. We now think it was probably caused by the flu shot she got on Thursday. She also got a hep A shot, but it was a booster and she didn't have this reaction last time. I guess we won't know what it was unless she gets them again...

Lizzie in her oatmeal bath:

You can't see them very well, but she had hives all over her back.

and all over her stomach

all over her face, legs, arms, everywhere! She didn't seem to be scratching them very much, but I'm sure she must have been just absolutely miserable.

Today she is doing very well!

2 comments:

brittanyc said...

I would have had a heart attack for sure if that were my little Clara! I have never had hives, so I wouldn't have had any idea what the awful rash was. Poor girl!!! Glad they're gone! We didn't do flu shots this year. Let's hope we don't end up regretting that.
Britt

Wendy said...

Poor Lizzie! That doesn't look fun at all!