
All the drama, all the stress, all of it was worth it when I saw my little ballerina up on stage! I think she had a great time and I sure did! It was standing room only in the high school auditorium, and VERY, VERY HOT!!! We had temperatures in the 80's and obviously the high school hadn't turned on the air conditioning yet because everyone was complaining about the heat. Therese's dad showed me his watch with the thermometer on it that read 84 in the commons area and he told me it had been in the high 80's inside the auditorium, and boy did it feel like it!
I forgot to bring cookies for the refreshment table, so James' first errand was to run home and grab a box of cookies out of the pantry. Next, I noticed that many parents had flowers tucked away to give their daughters after the performance. I asked Cora if this was standard procedure and she said it was. James protested, but I insisted that Rebecca couldn't be the only little girl whose daddy didn't bring her flowers! So his second errand of the evening was running to the store to buy pink tulips for his little girl. Turns out, Marsha Egger had also bought her flowers so Rebecca had two beautiful bouquets to carry around after the recital.
When the recital was over, everyone headed out to the commons area for refreshments. Rebecca started making a collection of cookies and James told her she couldn't have any more until she'd eaten all that she already had -- so she started to cry. Did you know that mascara runs when you cry? Interesting. So the rest of the evening she had black gobs of makeup under her eyes. We took her picture with her teacher and then I told her she could have as many cookies as she wanted (naughty Mommy!).
The night was so worth all the aggravation, but boy, am I glad it only happens once a year! By the way, did you know there are 101 uses for a tutu? I think it's been worn more on the boys' heads than it was ever worn around Rebecca's waist so far. Rebecca tried to teach her dance moves to Teancum last night- maybe he'd like to start taking ballet...
"Dance of the Mirlitons" -- Rebecca is 1st on the left on the 2nd row.
"Shaken Not Stirred," Rebecca is 1st on the left on the 2nd row
"You Can't Stop the Beat," Rebecca is 3rd from the left when the little girls come in.









2 comments:
It was fun watching this! It brought back memories of when you were a young ballerina!!
Love,
Mom
What a night - almost as crazy as picture night! I still can't figure out how you do everything you do! I'm glad the recital went well! And don't worry, by the time she is ten she'll be checking with you AT LEAST a week in advance to make sure the costume is perfect and coordinates with the make-up and did you pick up her tights yet and did you remember. . . and all you'll have to do is enjoy the show!
Melissa
Post a Comment