My internet service is back up! Yippee!!!
Well, soccer season has officially come to an end. James' team didn't win any games and he threatened never to coach again, but his soccer kids love him and that is what is most important -- so I'll probably talk him into coaching again next fall (actually, I've already signed him up again for next fall). :)
Before you watch this video, let me tell you about my little Jamey. I have a very vivid memory of Jamey at about 6 months old. James and I were sitting on the floor of our living room in Moab. The twins were on the floor with us, and so was their DFS caseworker, Early Intervention nurse, and occupational therapist. Everybody was focused on working with the twins. I looked over at Jamey sitting in the corner of the living room happily playing with toys. I remember thinking 2 things: 1) I'm so grateful to have such a happy baby who is content to play with toys and not fuss when I need to do other things, and 2) Is this how all of Jamey's life is going to be?
Unfortunately, that's how things have ended up quite often. The twins have had every kind of therapy you can imagine and have always taken up more time than any of our other children. I don't fault the twins for this because we are the ones who chose to have a large family and adopt the twins, and we knew that life would probably be this way. Sometimes this meant that Jamey was put on the "back burner." In many ways, perhaps the reason he is such an awesome kid is because of this. He is used to not being the center of attention and maybe that is why he is more thoughtful of others. He is used to having to be less selfish and maybe that is why he roots for the underdog. Jamey has never caused me any trouble and has always brought me a great deal of joy -- he is truly a little ray of sunshine for me.
Jamey's soccer team was undefeated. He was definitely a huge asset to the team. He would have prefered to play with James' U12 team, but we made him play with the kids his own age. As a result, sometimes he felt like he wasn't being challenged. In this particular game, it was a total wipe out -- something like 15 to 2, and Jamey had scored probably 10 or more of the goals. When I asked him after the game how many goals he had scored, he said, "I don't know. Probably 4." He is a great little athlete and he just keeps going and going, and doesn't give up. But being a star on his soccer team isn't why I am most proud of my Jamey.
After he'd scored several goals he decided that he wanted his teammates to have the opportunity to score goals also. He would pass the ball to them near the goal and sometimes they would score. Sometimes the other team would steal the ball, so Jamey would steal it back and score a goal. His best friend was on the other team and I could tell it really bothered Jamey that Silas' team was so far behind. I almost pulled Jamey out and told him to let Silas score, but I decided that wouldn't be fair to the rest of Jamey's team.
This video shows the great kind of kid that Jamey is...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
What a good boy he is. Isabelle calls him her "best friend Cousin". I loved how he just turned around and ran into the field and didn't try to take any credit for the goal, or point out what he did. You've raised a very sweet boy.
Britt
Post a Comment