Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Jamey The Awesome Teammate

Jamey's soccer team is undefeated. Last night's game was a real wipe-out, something like 15 to 2 - I stopped keeping track after a while. Jamey scored probably a dozen goals. The parents and grandparents behind me were talking about him saying things like, "that kid can score at will, can't he?" "Yup, any time he wants to." But that isn't what makes me most proud of him. This is...




He was concerned about his other teammates being able to score goals also. He is such a kind-hearted boy. He would pass it to a teammate to give them a chance to score, and sometimes they did, and sometimes the other team would steal it. Then he'd go back in and steal it and score. After the game I asked him how many goals he had scored and he said, "I don't know, probably about four." I know he scored a lot more than 4. His best friend was on the other team and I could tell Jamey felt bad that they weren't scoring more, and I almost pulled Jamey out to whisper "let Silas score a goal" but I thought that wouldn't be fair to his teammates. Jamey is a great athlete who works hard and doesn't quit, but even better than that he is a kind, thoughtful person and a real team player.

No comments: