Saturday, April 25, 2009

My Moab Adventure, Part One

Natalie and I had planned our Moab Adventure quite a while ago. We had the hotel reservations. I was making arrangements for my kids. The only problem was... the weather! We had a very bad storm forecast, and I wasn't sure if they would close the roads. I had ABC pre-school at my house in the morning, visiting teaching appointments scheduled right afterwards, Rebecca's afternoon pre-school, work, and volunteering in Teancum's classroom. I was planning to leave right after school, but so much snow had already fallen in Lander that James was worried they might close South Pass. So he talked me in to leaving right after my visiting teaching appointments and missing the rest of my scheduled events. The roads were fine except for some fog and rain. I did see a semi truck on its side, though, but I was a very careful driver.

I brought the girls with me and they stayed with my parents & also spent some time at Chris & Brittany's house. Their cousins Zoey and Skylar were there too, so they had a fun sleep-over and great play-time with them. We arrived in Bountiful in record time, even after a stop at Costco for needed supplies.

In the morning, I left the girls with my mom and my sister-in-law Natalie picked me up. We were sooooo excited to go to Moab that we missed the turn-off. :) It was fate, though, because then we ended up taking the "long way" to Moab and stopping in Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley. I had never been to either one and I had been really wanting to go to Goblin Valley especially, so I was pretty excited. These photos are from our time at Capitol Reef National Park:


If you look very closely, you can see me standing underneath the arch. I believe this arch was called Hickman Bridge. We went on a little hike to reach it. There were very few people there. It was nice and quiet.
Here is Natalie next to the arch.
This is Natalie standing above a small set of arches that we found along the trail. I was down inside them.
And here is me standing on top of them.

If you look very closely, you can see petroglyphs. Start at the bottom in the middle and follow them up to the right.


No comments: