Because of my Moab trip, which I will post soon, this Flashback Friday is dedicated to my Moab memories from years past. As you know, I just love Moab. I would like to retire there and be able to go hiking every day and find undiscovered arches.When we lived there, we went hiking several times a week all year round. I loved the climate because even if it snowed, it would be melted by afternoon. I have wonderful memories of hiking on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Cameron and Micah were great hikers, especially after we had Ethan, Ian, and Jamey, because we couldn't carry them anymore, so they would run and climb and hike right along with us. What happy memories I have of living in Moab (for the most part)! The photo above is of me and Micah on Porcupine Rim.
Natalie, this is Pritchett Arch. It looks like the rocks we were close to, doesn't it?
Me and Micah by Skyline Arch
1999, again at Looking Glass Rock -- we used this pose for our Christmas card that year also.
Inside Unseen Arch -- Micah, Cameron, and Ian on my back.
Ian in the backpack looking up at the portal. We saw that out our back window every day. Oh, I miss that!
This was our back porch. What a great view we had!
Grandma & Grandpa Whiting at Delicate Arch. We loved to take people to Delicate Arch when they came to visit. My parents went there a few times, along with many other places throughout Moab. Natalie and I didn't go to Delicate Arch on this last trip and I wondered if we could count it as a real Moab trip without visiting the most famous arch in the world. There has only been one time in my life that I dared to go stand underneath the arch. You have to walk around a giant bowl to get underneath it and I am deathly afraid of heights, so I would always stay back and take pictures of whoever was under the arch. Then, the first time I went to Moab with Natalie, once we got up there I just hurried over to stand under Delicate Arch for a quick photo and hurried back. I haven't dared to do it since then. Someday I will do it again. Someday I will overcome my fear of heights... maybe...
This was out at Entrada, James' high adventure base. Jamey had a poopy diaper and I didn't have extra diapers so James built him a diaper out of paper towels and duct tape.
Cameron, James, and Micah at Delicate Arch
Holly, Annaka, Tim, Dan, Micah, and Cameron inside a fun little bowl on the way to Corona & Bowtie arches.
Private Arch, 2006, a Moab trip with Natalie. Natalie and I decided that someday we're going to build a little house by Private Arch and just live there. It is so peaceful and beautiful there. Few hikers make it into Devil's Garden that far. I believe we ate our lunch there, didn't we Natalie?
Picture Frame ArchThis is my parents & Casey inside Picture Frame Arch. We went on a pretty scary four wheel drive trip with them that time. We saw Picture Frame Arch, Pritchett Arch, and whatever other arches are Behind the Rocks. They had their little red jeep and we had our suburban. At one point I got out of the suburban and walked down the hill because 3 of our wheels were off the ground. We were so crazy back then!
Moab is such a magical place. If you haven't been there, you have NO idea what you're missing! I would still live there now, except it's not a great place to raise kids, but boy, is it a great place to visit! And it was so fun to live there when our kids were little.
James biking Slick Rock









2 comments:
I have never been to Moab before but you make me want to go really bad. What time of the year would you recommend a trip? Can you see a lot if you don't know where you are going and you don't know what is there? You'll have to let me know. Looks like so much fun. Do you camp when you go there?
Can you believe I have never been to Moab? I need to get there someday...
Post a Comment