The purpose of this post is to make my cousin Valeri faint...
I, Camille Whiting, am about to post a RECIPE.
Yes, I know I'm the worst cook in the world. The other night at Micah's class potluck picnic, as we were leaving Micah said in amazement, "wow, some of those moms are really good cooks!" You would have thought he'd just been to the Olive Garden or something... One night when the kids were politely complaining about my cooking I told them that the very ironic thing is that my Associates' Degree is actually in Home Economics Education. They didn't understand the irony (or have any idea what I was talking about). To clarify, I focused on child development, sewing, interior design, home management, and education and took very few cooking classes. And of course, I changed my major right after I got to BYU. When I worked at the Utah State Extension Service for Becky Low (who used to do the noon cooking segments on KSL TV) I tried some of her recipes, but they never turned out the way they were supposed to. My family politely choked them down, which was very nice of them when you consider what picky eaters the Call family is! I even worked in the Home Economics department (as a secretary) while I was at Rick's, but none of the hominess rubbed off on me, I'm afraid. At least not the side of domesticity that involves "food sciences..."
A month or so ago when I was on my Girls' Weekend with my mom & sister-in-laws, we went to a fun Italian restaurant and Brittany bought me a very delicious meal. It was pasta with chicken and peppers and sesame seeds and what tasted like Yoshida's sauce (that you buy at Costco or Sam's Club). I loved it so much that I tried to recreate it after I got home. I didn't have any sesame seeds at the time, but I did have a small jar of sesame oil so I used that instead. Tonight I fixed it with sesame seeds (and sesame oil) and it had a more nutty taste, which was still good, but different than the other way. I like both ways.
It is very easy to make, and very delicious. Here is my version of the recipe. Keep in mind that I am much more like Rachael Ray than Martha Stewart (although I'm sure that if Rachael had any kids, they would not begin every meal with, "oooh, gross!") because I never measure anything -- I just throw things in until it looks good and then I cross my fingers that it will also taste good.
1. Cook pasta -- I like it with egg noodles the best, but tonight I ate it with angel hair pasta. I can't remember what kind of pasta the restaurant served it with.
2. Cook chopped (I like it very small) chicken in a little sesame oil and a touch of Yoshida's sauce (maybe 1T?)
3. When chicken is nearly done, add chopped peppers and onions. I've also made it with a variety of other vegetables when I didn't have peppers, but I definitely prefer peppers. Add more Yoshida sauce and sesame oil. I like it to be a little saucy when I pour it on the noodles, so I make sure there's still some left and that it doesn't all seep into the chicken & veggies. If you want to add sesame seeds you can add them now also. I also add a little soy sauce sometimes (although I realize that I forgot that tonight, but it still tasted good).
4. Serve over cooked pasta.
My kids don't like it because they don't like peppers, but they eat the noodles with cheese on them while I enjoy the chicken & peppers. I don't have a picture of it like Valeri or Wendy or Stephanie would (sorry!), but you can all take a picture of it after you make it. After you guys try it, let me know if you like it! It is my new favorite recipe. I am running low on Yoshida's, though, and James is now back from Casper! Oh no! 27 more days until we get to Sam's Club again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Camille, you are so cute! You did not make me faint, but I'll have you know I made sure to sit down before I read any further in your post JUST IN CASE! I don't think fainting would be very good for me right now (at least while standing). :)
That sounds really yummy! Good for you for creeping outside your comfort zone! And by the way, I don't believe you're a horrible cook! I'm sure you're much better than you give yourself credit. My dad uses Yoshida's all the time and loves it.
Post a Comment