The minute the last pre-school child left on Thursday, we jumped in the van and headed to the church to decorate for the Blue & Gold Banquet. Our cub master had asked me to be in charge of the meal and decorating. I was VERY scared because I am the WORST cook in the whole world and I was just sure I was going to mess everything up! Luckily Debbie stepped in and we planned the meal together. Deciding to have spaghetti was easy -- the theme was American ABC's so I wanted to have a red, white, and blue meal. Spaghetti is red & white. Knowing how to cook the spaghetti and sauce was where I needed Debbie. Let me give you some background on Debbie:
When we first moved here, James was immediately called as the scout master. Among his little scouts were Devin & Garrett, Debbie's sons. James was very diligent about always going on a campout every single month. One month they were talking about what they would eat for breakfast on their campout. Someone suggested french toast. One of the scouts said that would be great because all they would need is bread and eggs. Devin & Garrett piped right up, "but you also need cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, milk, and butter." Only an Irene scout would know how to make gourmet french toast. I knew I could count on Debbie for a truly gourmet meal for our Blue & Gold, and she really came through. She gave me specific instructions on how to make my half of the spaghetti sauce. We planned for 120 even though the estimate was only 100. I didn't want to run out of food (I've been at Blue & Golds where they did run out of food before). Debbie made enough food for 60 and so did I, except I didn't cook my noodles. We had water boiling and ready to throw my angel hair pasta in if it was needed. Turns out, we only ate Debbie's 1/2 of the food and I brought my entire roaster home full of spaghetti sauce (and didn't turn my receipt in for reimbursement - -we'll just eat it all). So we have some gourmet spaghetti sauce as a souvenir from a great Blue & Gold banquet. We've already been enjoying it.
I spent most of the week punching fleur de lis to scatter on the tables. The tables were blue & gold, of course, except for the serving tables, which were red, white and blue. The families had been asked to bring either a salad or a dessert with them and many of them also volunteered to bring rolls. I suggested that since the main course was red and white, the families might attempt to make a blue salad or dessert. Most of them did and it was great -- have you ever seen blue frog eye salad? Great job, Alison! We had plenty of food -- we certainly didn't run out. We had a banquet indeed. To top it off, the twins received several awards, as did most of the other boys in attendance. Jamey will have to get his next time because he was at play practice.
My friend Kris received her Wood Badge beads, presented by President Shane. I am going to Wood Badge in June but am re-thinking earning my beads... I don't like having to be up in front of people. Maybe they can just mail me my beads...
Ahh... what a relief that the banquet is over and was a success! Only problem, Bishop Fagnant mentioned that next year is the 100th birthday party so maybe we'll serve prime rib for the banquet... Oh no! Debbie, help!!!









2 comments:
So you did the fleur-di-lis? Brooke commented on how fun they were. I loved everything about it. And the spaghetti sauce was really good!
Hey, can I get the recipe for spagetti sauce? Mine bites. Thanks
amy
Post a Comment