Maybe it won't matter now anyway, since they might go out of business in the near future, but I'd strongly suggest that if you're planning to buy a car, do not buy a GM or Chevrolet car. As you know, we were stranded on the side of the road in freezing weather with 8 kids when our van broke down a couple months ago. And even after we were rescued, James stayed out in the freezing weather with the van (waiting for a tow truck) for a few hours, and then James' dad stayed out there for another hour or so (still waiting for a tow truck) and then we got to buy a new engine.
The whole reason we got a new-to-us van was to avoid the breaking down on the side of the road scenario. We figured buying one with 44K miles would avoid anything like that. So I wrote a letter to Chevrolet asking them to pay the $6K for the new engine, explaining that no car should require a new engine after only a little over 40K miles. To be honest, I didn't think I'd even hear back from them, but I figured it was still worth a try, because what if they did agree to pay for the engine? (We still have yet to hear a word back from Black & Decker about our ruined kitchen floor because of their faulty faucet.)
A couple weeks after I sent the letter I received a phone call from GM. I was very impressed that they were responding to my letter. I spoke with the man briefly and then gave him James' cell number because James would know a lot more about what exactly went wrong with the van than I would. He talked to James later that day and said his boss would call him the next day. She did. She asked James more questions and said she'd call the place in Evanston that put in the new engine and then she'd get back with us in a few days. By this point we actually thought they were going to pay for the engine. After all, that would be the morally right thing to do -- stand behind their product when (we were told) it was faulty from the beginning.
When she called back, she said she'd decided that since we didn't purchase the van from a GM dealer, they would not pay for the engine. James asked to speak to her supervisor and she said that she was fully authorized to make such a decision. He asked for it in writing. A few days later I received this letter:
Dear Camille,
Thank you for contacting us recently regarding the dissatisfaction you have experienced with your vehicle. At Chevrolet, our commitment to customer satisfaction is a top priority and we sincerely apologize for any concerns you may have experienced.
Although the need for repairs is unfortunate, motor vehicles are complex machinery and sometimes do require repairs. That is why every vehicle sold is backed by the GM New Car Limited Warranty. During this period, Chevrolet will provide for repairs to the vehicle to correct any vehicle concerns related to materials or workmanship. Mechanical concerns arising from tampering, abuse, physical damage, improper maintenance or normal wear and tear are not covered by the warranty.
Chevrolet works to ensure each customer concern is handled in a way that reflects our values and we have carefully reviewed the facts surrounding your case. After careful consideration, Chevrolet, in conjunction with Evanston Motor Company, has determined that we are unable to offer you financial assistance at this time.
We hope you understand our position as it relates to the manufacturer's obligation. We appreciate the opportunity to review this matter. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to email us using the Contact Us link at Chevrolet.com or call us at 1-800-222-1020.
Sincerely,
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
In other words, Chevrolet has an easy out of every possible scenario when a car breaks down, because pretty much anything could be blamed on "normal wear and tear." I'm not sure what the Evanston place said to them, but my understanding was that when they looked at the van they were certain that the oil pump had been bad from the beginning and that's why the engine went out so early. If GM stood behind their products, it wouldn't matter if we had bought it from a GM dealer or not -- they would have paid for the new engine.
Contrast this to last week when I opened my pack of 6 Clorox drop-ins that I'd purchased at Costco or Sam's Club. I dumped them out and realized there was only 5 drop-ins in the box. At first I thought they were down-sizing to save money, but I looked at the box and sure enough, there should have been six. I called the phone number listed on the box. I was on the phone with her for under 2 minutes. She took my name and address and said she'd send me a replacement product. Now, I realize that of course Clorox drop-ins cost a lot less than a new engine, but I can guarantee you I'll be buying drop-ins again, whereas I won't jump at the chance to buy another GM vehicle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









4 comments:
Stuff like that makes me crazy! I'm sorry to hear about your van breaking down already. Hopefully with it's new engine you have lots of carefree driving and maintenance free years ahead!
That is truly disheartening! I'm so sorry you had that horrible experience. It made ME mad just reading it, and I wasn't even the victim. I'm all about writing to or calling companies when I'm dissatisfied. Why not? They need to (and if they're decent companies, they should want to) hear what we customers have to say! Even though nothing came of your complaints to GM, at least you got the word out! Neil said just a few weeks ago when we started car hunting that he wouldn't even consider a Chevy/GM because they don't stand by their product. Your experience just validated that!
That sounds like why we won't buy another Dodge. Our Grand Caravan needed a new transmission at about 52K miles. Silly me, I figured a transmission would work a lot longer than that. We got it fixed and then when it started acting up again, we traded it in on a Toyota Sienna.
Stupid car companies!
That's really maddening! Good for you for writing them to let them know their product stinks. I cannot believe they wouldn't pay for it. I'll be sure to pass this story on to everybody I know.
Post a Comment