Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Day of Scouting

Yesterday I went to Casper with my friend Kris. We left at 5:30 a.m. (yes, I got up at 4:30 a.m. -- totally crazy, I know) and arrived just in time for the Woodbadge breakfast. She had already received her beads at our Blue & Gold Banquet, but she was able to support the others who were receiving their beads that day. She is on staff for this year's Woodbadge. I am her recruit so she wanted me to meet some of the others that will be there. The camp is totally full, for the first time in its history in our council. It sounds like it will be nearly all LDS people so I am excited about that. I met one of the other 8 women who will be there with me. The rest of the 41 people coming are men. There are 8 patrols so we will all be the only women in our patrols.

After the breakfast ended, we headed out shopping. We went to a fabric store, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and Walmart. We finished just in time to head over to the awards luncheon for all of the scouts who earned their Eagle this year, as well as for the 3 who were awarded their Silver Beaver. The program listed all of the past Silver Beavers in the council, including James' dad and the people who are currently our scout leaders. I am excited to come to this banquet next year with my whole family as both Cameron, and probably Micah also, will be honored for having earned their Eagle. Senator Barrasso was there and he spoke briefly and gave each of the Eagles their plaques (and they all got their photo taken with him). The chief of police was the main speaker, and it was hosted by one of the television news broadcasters, who received a scout tie from the Scout Executive, and he promised to wear it on the air. I will watch the news on Monday to see if he really does. :)

A fun coincidence is that the new Scout Executive, who came here from Las Vegas, started as a District Executive at the same time James did. He lived in St. George when we lived in Moab. I talked to his wife, who is expecting their 7th child, and both of them remembered James very well. Apparently she was also in James' ward at BYU before we got married (I wonder if James dated her!). It is a small world. They are our age, which I think is pretty impressive that he's already a Scout Executive. Of course, this is Wyoming, but still...

After the luncheon, which was very good, Kris and I headed back home and found all well. Kris had to hurry and clean her house to host a Young Women activity last night (she's the YW president). James was babysitting my friend Tami's son Tel and all the kids were pretty excited about that. The house was in great condition and our back-door neighbors had given us a foosball table, so you can imagine the excitement that I came home to.

You know I am a big supporter of scouting. I came home an even bigger supporter. What a great program for boys! I am excited that Cameron's Eagle project is underway and it will be fun to watch as each of my boys progress through scouting.

3 comments:

The Gardner Family said...

Hey--where are you guys going to see Phantom? When I say "Phantom" I just assume that means Phantom of the Opera. I bought tickets for Matt back in January to see "Phantom" at the Hale Center in West Valley. Who knew that "Phantom" is actually some other show about the Phantom before he was the Phantom. It was still pretty good, but nothing like Phantom of the Opera.

elle pothier said...

Oh man I wish I had you here to help with scouts! It seems like I'm always in callings that have to do with scouts. I agree, it's a great program, but kinda confusing with SO many meetings!! I need to adopt your attitude.

elle pothier said...

ooops, It's really Shawni...Elle's always signed into my computer...