Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Quirky Birthday

This birthday day started as most of James' birthdays and Father's days do, with comments from the kids such as "Why did you burn the sausage?" (Teancum) and "Dad never burns the bacon!" (Cameron). Ahh, the joys of Mommy cooking breakfast. What remains edible is quickly gobbled up, and even Daddy pretends to enjoy it...
Aside from my horrible breakfast cooking, another reason that it's a good thing James' birthday only comes once a year is that I'm quite certain that it's his fault that we were completely dumped on today. What happened to our beautiful spring weather? Come back, Spring!
After spending an hour shoveling snow while Rebecca and Lizzie watched the "Dora" movie we checked out from the library, I dropped Rebecca off at pre-school and then got ready for my shower, only to find this:

Lizzie had been rearranging my bedroom, bathroom, and closet. Apparently she prefers that the shoes NOT be in the closet.

A strange thing happens when it snows outside. We suddenly see our Missing-in-Action cat Timmy. This is Lizzie peeking through the cat door after he made a quick escape when he saw her coming. Unlike Harold, Timmy is not the most cuddly and friendly cat. But he does stay indoors on snowy days and aside from growling in a very annoyed way, he tolerated Lizzie pretty well today with all of her "huggies" and "kissies."


When James arrived home from work, he got to re-shovel the driveway since it continued to snow throughout the day and I certainly wasn't going to go out there again. If I had, I'm quite certain that my shoes would have ended up inside the toilet rather than just the bathtub! The snow is quite an annoyance to me. I got stuck in the middle of the road when I went to pick up Rebecca from pre-school this afternoon. James had to leave his meeting to come dig me out (and why is it that he can get me un-stuck in 30 seconds, but I can spend 10 minutes trying to get myself un-stuck and only get more stuck!).

Now the boys (including James) are making some last-minute adjustments to their Pinewood Derby cars because tonight is the big race. I have all of the certificates ready and the ballot boxes for the Cubs' and Audience's Favorites. Yesterday Debbie and I made twinkie/mint derby cars for refreshments. Hopefully the snow doesn't keep everybody away!
I hope that when all is said and done, James will think that he had a fabulous birthday. If not, at least he can be consoled in the fact that I will not be cooking breakfast again until... Father's Day...

No comments: