
Today was another one of those days when I wish I could shield my kids from pain. Micah has spent the past few months learning everything he can about Ronald Reagan. He chose him as the important person in history for History Day. Kids can choose to write a paper, do an exhibit board, make a website, make a documentary, do a group project, or do a performance. Micah decided to do a performance. He worked endlessly on it. Quite often I'd peek into his room after 10 or 11 p.m. and he'd be awake reading books or watching documentaries or movies about Ronald Reagan on his play station. He did the entire thing by himself and was very self-motivated. He wrote the script himself and memorized it himself. We gave him a few suggestions about the performance itself, but he decided how he wanted to do it. He was really hoping to go to the National History Day competition in Washington DC. this summer. Three kids from Lander got to go last year. He also wanted the cash prize that he would have won if he was first place there. Remember, this is Micah we're talking about -- a.k.a. Mr. Competitive.
Today was the big day. He dressed up with a shirt & tie and brought his box of props. He was all prepared for the performance and had the whole thing memorized. He acted out parts as Ronald Reagan and also was a narrator, so he had a little sign that he turned back and forth depending on who he was at the time. (Parents were not allowed to watch the competition)
I went at 1:45 today to see them hand out awards. All four schools were involved (South, North, West, and the Junior High) and quite a few more participated this year than last year. I think that all the junior high kids who entered placed in their categories, including the ones who went to National last year. They announced Micah's category last and listed the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place winners. Micah wasn't among them. My heart just sank. In a way, it makes life a lot easier because the date of the regional competition in Dubois is March 28th and I've already bought 3 tickets to Phantom of the Opera in UT on that day (Theater Merit Badge). And I'll be at Woodbadge when I think the National Competition is. But of course, all of that could have been cancelled if Micah was able to compete. I could tell from looking at him, even from the back, that he was very disappointed. All those countless hours of work! If only he hadn't set his heart on it so much.
It was about 10 minutes before school was going to get out and I asked if he wanted to come home with me. He got permission from his teacher, grabbed his box of props and backpack, and we went home. I thought he might not want to stay in class with the many kids who did place in their categories and maybe needed a little bit of time for the reality to sink in. When we got home, he went in his bedroom for a little while before he had to head over to guitar practice. Since he's been home, he's been very cheerful and trying to see the bright side of the ordeal. I'm so proud of him for that. I'm proud of him for all of his hard work. I'm proud to know that every ounce of his project was HIS own, not mine or James' and he should be proud of that too. It is a great learning experience and hopefully if you were to ask Micah a question about Ronald Reagan in ten years, he could still answer it with confidence. Ronald Reagan was an important person in history, but in my book, my little sixth grader is even more important!









4 comments:
Wow--that's a lot of hard work. The reward is how much he learned!
So, we really need to plan these things better. Matt and I are going to Phantom on Saturday afternoon!
Hey, Camille! I found your blog from Kandice's.
That was a ton of work, it's sad he didn't even place. :-(
That's fun that he picked Reagan. He's one of my favorite presidents.
Things like that are so challenging as a parent because you want so badly to make it "perfect" for them. How sweet that he tried to look on the bright side. After all, "it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"
Post a Comment