Saturday, November 8, 2008

Missoula Children's Theater


Monday was try-outs for Missoula Children's Theater. This is the sixth year Micah has tried out and the 5th time he got in. This is Cameron's 4th time. Jamey tried out five times and has never been cast. He was all right about it, but got a little weepy on the way to pick up Cameron the first night of rehearsals.

Cameron wanted to be an Assistant Director because he wanted to do the lights. After this many years of try-outs I have sort of figured out how the try-outs work. So I suggested to Cameron that he go talk to the directors on the stage before try-outs began and tell them that he'd like to run the lights. He did that, and when it was time to choose assistant directors they sought him out. So of the 144 kids who tried out, Cameron got to be one of the 4 AD's, and Micah was cast as one of the six Town Criers. Micah was excited too. And they were pretty good sports around Jamey, so I was happy about that.

Later in the week one of the older kids (they're allowing high school kids to be in it this time, unfortunately, which really limited the parts for younger kids) decided he would rather go to Laramie this weekend than be in the play. Since Cameron had learned the entire script and all of the songs as part of being an AD, the directors chose to put Cameron in the play in this kid's place. Cameron was NOT happy about it. He did a good job, though. They did their first performance at 3 o'clock today and their final performance is tonight at 7. I went to see the first one and the whole family is coming tonight. Should be exciting! I don't like this play as much as some of the others, but I think the boys enjoyed themselves, and they're all looking forward to February when Missoula Children's Theater is coming back to do "Robinson Crusoe" and high schoolers aren't allowed to be in it.





No comments: