Friday, July 18, 2008

Lizzie's One Year Well Check

Lizzie is still in the 5th percentile for weight -- she was under 18 lbs. She is down to the 20th percentile for height, and I can't remember what her head was but it was high (Whiting head). She got 3 shots so she wasn't too happy when we left. And she does have the beginning of an ear infection so I talked the doctor into giving her an antibiotic since she'll be flying on an airplane on Monday. Other than that, she's perfectly healthy! She's my petite little girl.

I forgot to write about the other excitement on her birthday. When we were at the movie theater for this week's summer movie (Alvin & the Chipmunks) Lizzie was being very noisy from the very beginning. So I took her in the lobby. While we were out there pacing back and forth, their popcorn popper started smoking and then suddenly burst into flames. The 4 teenagers who were working there all panicked and started screaming. One ran to get a bucket of ice, but another yelled that since it was an oil fire he shouldn't throw ice or water on the fire. He started hitting the fire with his apron. One of the girls yelled, "call 911!" I asked them, "don't you have a fire extinguisher?" They looked at me like I was crazy. The girl got 911 on the phone and told the others, "we need to evacuate the building!" I went back in the theater and sat down and told the boys that we'd have to leave. Pretty soon kids were scurrying out of the theater. Cameron & Ian started to take off, but then came back to me. Cameron was pretty panicked but I told him to calm down, that I had seen the fire, and that it was more important for us to stay together than to run out in the crowd and get separated. So we were among the last to leave. We stayed out back for a while because I thought they would let us back in. We heard all the fire engines coming to the theater (they got there impressively fast). Finally we walked around to the front of the theater and saw that police cars had the entire road in front of the theater blocked off from street to street. I thought it was a little funny that they were making such a big deal out of a fire that was just in the popcorn machine, but I guess that must be protocol. I talked to one of the police officers that evening at the baseball game and he said he'd just put the fire out with his little fire extinguisher that he kept in his car.

Bottom line is, I guess I am not too worried about fires like that since our stoves & ovens have caught on fire many times during my life and we've always been able to put them out pretty easily (because we were right there when it happened, of course). I think the employees at the movie theater need to have a little training on dealing with fire. And a fire extinguisher in the theater would probably help too (actually my friend is the manager at the theater and she told Cameron that there was a fire extinguisher there, the employees just didn't know where it was). It made for our most exciting movie of the year, even though we only saw the first 1/2 of the movie!

1 comment:

stephschmidt said...

Oh, that sounds like a very exciting movie! Maybe if that happened at our local theater, Dallin would last longer than 1/2 way through a movie (right about when the candy and popcorn run out :) )