Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day Seven

Day Seven: The Trip Home
On Sunday we went to church with Curtis & Lindsay. It was fun to drive through Front Royal to their church, and be able to see the romantic little town they've been living in. Lizzie helped me play the piano in Relief Society because they were short a pianist.

After church, we hurried to change and eat some lunch before Curtis drove us back to Dulles Airport for our ride home. All went well this time -- no canceled flights for us, although there were many other angry passengers who had flights canceled or delayed due to bad weather.

We had a non-stop 4 1/2 hour flight. They showed a movie, but it wasn't one that we were interested in so we just read magazines and tried to entertain Lizzie all the way home. She did very well and only had a few tantrums, being very tired and having a hard time falling asleep. We had quite a bit of turbulence throughout the flight so most of the ride the seatbelt sign was on. Especially as we neared Utah, the turbulence became quite bad and some of the time it felt like we were on a roller coaster ride. It was a beautiful sight as we flew low (to avoid turbulence) over the Wyoming mountains, over Provo where we could clearly see the stadium and other buildings that we recognized from our BYU days, over Salt Lake, and then finally circling low over the Great Salt Lake to turn around and land safely at the air port. As we flew over the Great Salt Lake, the plane was turned nearly side-ways as if the wing near my window was going to skip along the water. Surprisingly, I wasn't nervous at all throughout the flight, despite the turbulence. I just knew we were going to be fine, and we were.

We went to pick up our baggage and were surprised to find James there waiting for us! My dad had dropped him off at the gate so he could help us get our luggage outside to the car. We were so glad to see him! Lizzie didn't forget him -- he grabbed her and she cuddled in to him. The benefit of being away from James for a week is that Lizzie finally learned how to say "Mama!" She also learned to say, "uh-oh."

When we arrived at my parents' house, Micah ran out and gave me a hug, followed quickly by Ian. When Rebecca saw me she gave me a hug too and so did Ethan. I had to ask T for a hug, though. :) I saw Jamey a few minutes later and he hugged me too. Lizzie looked very relieved and happy to see all of her siblings. My mom had a delicious meal waiting for us (the airline didn't feed us a meal). Cameron hurried to eat his meal, then hopped in the mazda with James and Micah and headed home to Lander. They were going to go straight to scout camp at 4 Monday morning, but they had to come back to Lander to pick up another scout since Brother Smith couldn't fit all the remaining scouts in his car. I was sad to only see James and Micah for a few minutes before they had to take off, but I'm sure they're having a blast at scout camp this week. James is the only leader staying all week. Brother Smith will be there a few days, Brother Crane one day, the other Brother Smith another day, and then James will be alone part of the time (he's not looking forward to that!). Cameron & Micah are the only scouts from our ward who went. There are 4 boys from the other ward, I think. I hope they have fun! Cameron & Micah wanted to earn all of the possible merit badges, but we explained that they would probably only have time to earn several of them. I miss them already. I especially missed them when I was pushing 3 kids in the baby jogger since there was no one home to babysit any of them! But things are going fine and I'm sure glad to be home.


1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see James and Micah for too long before they had to head off. I'm gald your trip home was nice and hopefully Scout Camp went well!