I am required to go to the lessons with her (and bring my violin) and practice with her at home. I was pretty nervous because it has been MANY years since I had a violin lesson, and although I made it through Book 4, I am sure I could never just pull out my violin and play the songs. So I'll be re-learning while Rebecca is learning. One interesting thing I learned is that my arms are too short for a full-size violin. Mrs. Murdock measured my arm next to a ruler that had the violin sizes marked on it. I should still be playing a 3/4 size. But 3/4 violins don't have the sound quality that full-size violins do. It made me feel better, though, to realize why I get so tired and feel so awkward when I play my violin. I will just keep trying to stretch my fingers. I hope Rebecca's excitement will last.
This is Rebecca after we picked up her Suzuki Book One book at the music store. We were on our way to her first lesson.
Here she is outside the Episcopal Church where the lessons are held.
Here she and Annie are learning the proper want to stand while playing or resting.
And now learning how to correctly hold the violin.
And the bow.
I don't hold my bow correctly. My thumb bends inward instead of being curved outward. Rebecca is holding hers correctly here:
Here is Rebecca practicing at home. Mostly we're just supposed to practice standing, picking up the violin, holding the bow correctly, and flashcards. Of course, Rebecca wanted to actually play the violin. Notice that her bow isn't even in the right place... But she'll learn that next time!
Singing AND playing the violin at the same time. Now, that's one talented girl!









1 comment:
That's great she is starting lessons. You two can play together!
Post a Comment