Saturday, June 6, 2009

Get a Life!

Micah has been counting down the days that he's been a Star scout for six months, and we were so surprised when the day he could become a Life Scout, he forgot to call his scout master and set up a scout master conference & Board of Review. James kept teasing him to "get a life," so finally, about a week late, he did. Micah is now officially a Life Scout. One of the questions they asked in his Board of Review (I am usually in those because of my calling, but obviously I wasn't in Micah's) was, "who in your family is the most excited about scouting?" Any guesses who he said? Yes, he said "my mom." Well, I guess that is partly true. I think scouting is great. Now Micah can start on his Eagle project, which he already has an idea to start off with. He has to complete his Camping merit badge, do his Eagle project, and then wait the 6 months, and then he can be an Eagle scout!

Cameron said that another scout in his troop was teasing him that he's going to finish his Eagle project before Cameron does. Now Cameron is pretty antsy to put the finishing touches on his project. Life is so busy that we haven't been great about hurrying to get it done, and now it's starting to bother Cameron. He's usually not very competitive, but now he's mighty motivated to finally finish it. He had wanted to paint a soccer mural on the side of the shed, and multiple artists had offered to help him, and they've each one by one backed out. I guess one thing he's learned while completing his Eagle project is the importance of following through with a promise, and the fact that even adults drop the ball sometimes. He used his own money to buy the board for the mural, and we thought about just having him paint it himself, but while he's a good artist, I don't know that he's THAT good of an artist, so I think we've talked him into just not doing the mural. I hope he doesn't look at his soccer shed from here on out and feel disappointed that it wasn't everything he dreamed it would be. I think it looks GREAT! Very professional -- you'd never know that a 13 year old boy scout built it. I'm really proud of Cameron.

Cameron & Micah are out at Cub Day Camp with James and my 3 cub scouts helping run the different events. They spent the night last night and I bet it was mighty cold! They'll be back tonight, just in time for Rebecca's girly birthday party. :)

No comments: