Saturday, December 6, 2008

Science Saturday with Micah Whiting

Gross, eh? A year ago when Marni cut my hair, I asked her to save it so that one of my kids might be able to use it for a science experiment to see what was the best thing to get gum out of hair. I've stored it in a bag in my bathroom for the past year. Micah decided it would be a great science experiment, so that's what he did!

We separated the hair into 5 piles and I tied them with rubber bands so they'd be easier to work with. Micah chewed lots and lots of gum and got it very tangled in all of the piles of hair. Then he let it sit for 36 hours.

He tried 5 different items to remove the gum: ice, coke, hair mouse, mayonnaise, and peanut butter. These are ideas that he'd found on the internet that were all supposed to remove gum. The ice didn't work at all. The mayonnaise just made it worse. The coke didn't really do much (and since we weren't going to drink it, the boys took the bottle outside and made it explode. That was their highlight of the evening). The peanut butter wasn't totally effective either, which surprised all of us and meant that Micah's hypothesis wasn't right. The best item for removing gum was the hair mousse. He looked at the ingredients and we couldn't figure out why the hair mousse would be the best. Micah needs to do some more research...

4 comments:

stephschmidt said...

I'm really surprised the peanut butter didn't work, too! Good to know about the mousse, though!

The Gardner Family said...

Now that is a great science experiment. I know it sounds strange, but lighter fluid is what my mom always used. It stunk bad, but it always worked.

So, I think I figured out how to put your email address in. I never knew you could do that. I'm adding another blog here in a minute, so you'll have to let me know if it works.

brittanyc said...

I was dying to know what he was doing when you said it was gross. Caleb is just starting his and it's not nearly as exciting. Micah will do awesome, I'm sure! How did you ever think of that so far in advance? I wish I'd known the findings a few nights ago! I had to chop gum out of Abram's beautiful hair...I was not happy about that!
Britt

Julie said...

OOOh You are amazing to even think to keep your hair for something like that! Good to know.