Saturday, December 20, 2008

Let's Protect the Tree!

All of our presents are already under the tree except for a bag of one gift each from Santa. As my friend Kristi says, after going to all the work to get Christmas ready, we don't want Santa to get all the credit! So he's only bringing one gift and filling their stockings. I have that bag of gifts hidden under the stairs (and I think all of the kids have seen it already...), but I don't have a good place to hide the other presents (that the kids won't look) so they're already under the tree. One Christmas we hid them in the shed, but then it snowed a lot and James had to dig a path on Christmas Eve (in the dark) to get the gifts out of the shed. We haven't done that since. Brother Barney brought us an air hockey table and that is hidden in the shed, so maybe James will be digging a path in the dark once again, but not to get the majority of the presents!

For a while it looked like the tree would be safe from Little Miss Lizzie Lu, but after the twins' birthday she figured out that there was something exciting inside those wrapped packages, so she has started opening the presents. Today I asked Teancum to keep an eye on the tree and keep Lizzie from opening presents.

This is the fortress that he and Rebecca created to protect the tree:


As you can see, it is highly effective...
At least it gave her something else to concentrate on this morning instead of opening presents.

3 comments:

stephschmidt said...

Hahaha, I love it! Looks like a fun project for them! :)

Wendy said...

That is funny!

Julie said...

I did that with our gifts too! Santa only brought one thing for each person. I told my kids they could only ask him for one thing. I will be doing that from now on. It was great! Love the fortress! Such good helpers!